Internal linking is a very important tactic for SEO. Effective internal linking strategies ensure successful merger of SEO and content marketing. Internal linking helps build a SEO friendly web site architecture.
What is Internal Linking?
Internal linking is a process that provides links on one page of a domain to another page in the same domain. In layman’s language, it refers to linking related pages of a page from it.
These internal links can be on the main navigation page or within articles linking to related content. The links in the main pages are controlled by the design and architecture team and the links within articles are designed by the writers and editors. These form the backbone of SEO.
What are the uses of Internal Linking in SEO?
Internal links serve three main purposes:
- They help users navigate a website easily
- They establish a link or information hierarchy of a website.
- They also establish link rankings for a website.
They basically establish site architecture and link equity. It is one of the ways site owners can tell Google what content pages are the most important.
The other purposes of internal linking in SEO are:
It provides the audience with ready reading options without searching.
If someone is reading about a product or a service and there is already an article about the same written in the past, you can link to it. It keeps the interest of the reader going, promotes old content and provides context to the reader as well.
It helps improve rankings for certain keywords
If you want a page to rank for a particular keyword and one of your pages has it, you may provide a link to that page. Pointing to that page with the relevant anchor text tells Google that this page contains the keyword that users are typing in to search.
It helps promotes current events and paid services
Internal linking bridges gap between “popular” content and say, “trending” content. For instance, we can use a popular and highly visited web page to link to a charity event or even some paid content.
Helps Google index pages effectively.
Internal links in navigation pages and articles help search engines like Google to crawl the website.
How important is internal linking for ranking in SEO
Internal linking is an underrated yet most important factor in securing high ranks for your website. Just by optimizing your internal navigation structure, you can gain a significant improvement in results.
How to get the best SEO results out of internal linking
- Before you insert a link, it is important to consider what is the probability that the reader will click the link. The higher it is, the better for SEO.
- Position of the link must be typically in the first few sentences of the article or blog. It’s anchor text, font, color and the context influences whether the reader will click on it or not.
- Add links to the most important and most visited pages.
- Add internal links optimally, neither too many nor too less. Also, make sure each link adds value to the content.
Adding relevant and contextual links to important pages of your website improves chances of high ranking for your keywords and increased SEO capability overall for your website